Composite Cutting with KMT Waterjet
Because composites are not homogenous materials and are reinforced for greater strength, cutting composites requires a different approach than ceramic cutting or metal cutting, for example. Using conventional cutters and machining techniques will quickly cause parts to wear out and require replacement. Employing the techniques often used for cutting granite or titanium may also compromise the strength of the composite and/or cause delamination, making the material less suitable for use in applications such as aircrafts and medical devices.
As an alternative, cutting with a water jet offers a number of benefits for composite machining. KMT water jet intensifier pumps do not produce heat-affected zones (HAZ) or leave rough edges/burrs that require the material to undergo secondary finishing with other composite machines.. Additionally, very little waste is created with water jet technology to protect the material investment, and the speed of the technology makes it well suited to high production requirements.
Advantages of Cutting Composites with Waterjet:
• Create complex shapes using composites with precision water jet cutting.
• NO Heat Affected Zone (HAZ) which is ideal for composites and more.
• Ideal for cutting up to 8” (20 cm) of composites materials depending on density of product.
• Eliminates most secondary finishing… no burrs or rough edges.
• Safe for the Environment; no toxic fumes or dust and garnet is disposable.
• Omni-directional cutting. Minimal tolerances. No wasteful raw materials.
• Thick or thin, waterjet cutting is the most flexible cutting process for granite to foam.
• No tool sharpening.
• One head for all applications, no guessing, no need to change bits.
• High or low surface pressure flexibility for sensitive or thick materials.
• Tolerances at ±0.003"/.076 mm.
Waterjet machine cutting is a cold cutting process and therefore is also ideal for automotive, medical and aerospace applications where the material cannot be affected by heat. Nearly every type of cut is possible, from using waterjet tables for rapid hole drilling to detailed cuts for aerospace applications. Waterjet cutter machines have the option to use an abrasive additive to create a clean, burr-free cut that does not require secondary finishing saving time and money.
KMT offers global technical services network for support.